RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Canon PC 1130 Camera: This camera went abruptly from

Customer Question

Canon PC 1130 Camera: This camera went abruptly from excellent results to giving just a blank screen in my viewfinder. When I turned camera off and started again it took three or four excellent photos than agan began giving just a blank or opaque result.
Oh, sometimes I could make out just a very faint image of the scene I was attempting to photograph. Now the camera gives only the blank or opaque result. Thanks for your help.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.

The most direct way to cover all of the possible reasons that the display is showing this way is to perform a hard reset using the following instructions.

Remove the main batteries, the memory card and the Time/Date battery (shown in the attached photo). Press the power switch once and allow the camera to sit idle for 10 minutes. Press the power switch once again, insert the Time/Date battery and main battery, and the memory card and power the camera up. You will need to reset the time and date and any other custom settings.

If the reset does not restore the shooting view, then. unfortunately, the symptoms indicate that there is a problem with the ccd (the light sensitive chip that produces the image)or the connection to it, Canon repair is really the only option and while your camera is not on the list of cameras Canon's on free repair program, the information at the links below does fully explain the problem and tells how Canon handled it. Since more and more newer models have the identical problem the info may give you some leverage with Canon. You are now the 3rd person in a three month period, with an S2is that I have advised of this problem. Click on or copy and paste the link into your browser

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024801e74fe

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.
If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Thank you

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I attached the incorrect file from my database. This one has the correct date battery instructions.

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 1 year ago.

Me

Thank you