Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My Olymuus VR-330 quit working while recharging a battery

Customer Question

my Olymuus VR-330 quit working while recharging a battery
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to ask whether there was a thunderstorm or electrical storm anywhere within 8 to 15 miles of your location when the failure happened.

And also, whether the charger was plugged in directly to the power outlet, rather than through a surge protector or other power filtering device. If it was, then it is quite possible that the camera failure was owing to a spike or surge on the line.

A surge protector for all electronic devices of any value is an investment that always pays off in the long run.

Is the camera completely 'dead', in appearance?

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

The camera's failure could, of course, be owing to not taking proper care of it, and not be related to power or charging in the least. So I need to ask:

- How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

- Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
- Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
- Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?
- Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no lighting, no it was plugged into a usb port it was working fine until the battery went dead. the battery was almost charged when it poped and quit.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You mean, you hear a 'pop' noise (not that the lens popped out, or something) and the camera quite working, I presume.

Does the camera work when plugged into a different USB port?

Were you charging it from the USB port? if so, check (with a cheap device e.g. a flash drive with no important data on it, that can be risked) whether that USB port is still working!
And try it, as I already said, on another USB port.

Let me know how it goes.