RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a nikon coolpix s2500 and it wont turn on or charge.

Customer Question

I have a nikon coolpix s2500 and it wont turn on or charge. Its 2 months old and its only been charged once when i first purchased it. I didnt use it for 3 weeks and i went to turn it on to use it again and nothing happened. Thinking it was just a flat battery, i plugged in the usb/charger and nothing happened. No blinking green lights, nothing. I then removed the battery and sd-card to check that everything was ok, which it was, so i re-inserted the battery back in but left the sd-card out. I then plugged the charger back in, and i now had a blinking green light. Thinking all was good, i waited (approx an hour or so) and the green light stopped flashing and tried to turn on the camera. The motorised lens then moves forward and then stops, and the green light (on/off) button stays lit, but nothing else happens. The monitor doesnt turn on and there is no response by pressing any other buttons. I then have to leave it untill the green light (on/off) button turns of, then i can plug in the charger and the lens will retract and the charging light will blink again. And this process just repeats over and over. Is there a problem with the camera itself or is it the battery? Its two months old and used several times so should i return it to the retail store from which i purchased it? Thankyou
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 4 years ago.

The symptoms indicate a bad power supply circuit, most likely a factory defect. Since you purchased this camera new from a retail outlet, you should return it for a replacement. If you are unable to or there is no return policy you can contact Nikon directly to have it repaired or replaced under the one year warranty. Because this is a new camera it must be assumed that this problem is a factory defect and no "do it yourself " fixes should be tried

You can contact Nikon at the link below.

http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/pagearticle.page?DCRPath=templatedata/en_AU/free_format_content/data/custompages/service_support/product_repair_information.xml

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please click the green Accept button and leave Positive Feedback. Thank you