dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have been experiencing an allergic reaction on my lips,

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have been experiencing an allergic reaction on my lips, mostly top lip that looks exactly like Fordyce Spots. The thing is, I only have the reaction when my boyfriend kisses me. Even a peck on the lips causes the reaction.
JA: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. itching, rash, new birthmarks or moles)?
Customer: any suggestions?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

can you upload a clear photo of the area on your top lip?

how old are you?

do you see the "add file" link where you can upload a photo?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a clear picture as of now since my lips have cleared. But it looked exactly like Fordyce Spots. I am 25

it is common to have fordyce spots on the lip.

what happens when he kisses you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been experiencing allergic reactions on my lips ONLY when my boyfriend kisses me. Even with a peck on the lips my top lip starts to get irritated. I have had my boyfriend wash his lips with anti bacteria soap and still I get a reaction on my top lip. I think I am allergic to my boyfriend's lips. I find using hydrogen peroxide speeds my healing process that normally last for 5-7 days with lips being dry. During the allergic reaction period, my lips are itchy, bumpy, a little burning, and swollen. Any suggestions of what could be causing this reaction from my boyfriend lips?

you should not be using hydrogen peroxide on your lips or skin. this is very irritating and causes more raw skin in the future.

it is not bacteria on his lips causing this

I would stop using the hydrogen peroxide on your lips and skin.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, I'll stop the use of hydrogen peroxide.
Do you have any idea what is causing my reaction?

it could be due to anxiety symptoms, if you are worried about having a reaction, you can cause flushing and redness in the area

you haven't shown me a photo of the skin there with the reaction, so I am limited in how I can help you.