Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My son has been getting what look like as "hives" on his

Customer Question

hello my son has been getting what look like as "hives" on his face. He got one hive - it then got shiny and it has now left a brown mark. Today I see another 2 spots that appear to be the same. I live i nSweden and am waiting to get in to see a dermatoalogist but I am getting quite worried as to what it can be.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: The first one came about 2 weeks ago but prior to that - about 1 month ago he got a terrible rash on his buttox and going down his leg. The doctor said it was a virus and that it would go away - which it did but it got very bad for about 3 weeks. Now he has this hives forming.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My father has severe psosaris and he was diagnosed 2 years ago with bullous pemphigoid so you can understand why I am very concerned My son is 10
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

can you upload a clear jpg image of this hive on his face?

is it itchy? or painful?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, I am attaching one picture of the hive he had gotten last Monday behind his ear but this one did NOT leave a mark on this skin. Unfortunately he is at school for the moment so as soon as he is back I will take a picture and send it to you. He says they are not itchy. Last Sunday - he had gotten a large hive on his forehead (it was about the size of a quarter) and he just said it was stinging, not itchy. It quickly got a "shiny look" and then it started to leave a brownish/ redish mark within a matter of 10 minutes - it looked like a small burn or scratched skin. This mark is still there and quite visible. I will send you a picture when he is home. This morning I noticed 2 similar spots on his chin. I am really panicked and it is quite hard here in Sweden to get a referral to a dermatologist. Given my fathers condition of bullous pemphigoid I am of course thinking the worst. :-(
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

no, it is not bullous pemphigoid

I agree with his doctor

many children are exposed to mild viral infections which can cause skin rashes and hives.

you can give him tylenol (acetamenophen) and also Benadryl (diphenhydramine antihistamine 25-50mg) and also used 1% hydrocortisone cream on these hives to help calm them down.

make sure he washes his hands frequently to help decrease chances for viral infections.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello again, please see 2 additional pictures as discussed in my previous message. You can see that the hive from last week has left this brown mark. What could that be?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 days ago.

that brown mark looks like old blood under the skin causing bruising, possibly from scratching or a broken blood vessel under the area.