Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

My daughter is part samoan, maltese and English.....she has

Customer Question

my daughter is part samoan, maltese and English.....she has dark olive skin but has developed small brown patches on her back neck and some on her upper arms . the doctor said it was nothing to worry about...started as two on the back on her neck....doctor said it was a fungus of some sort but very common for her skin type and she did not perscribe anything. I used some fungal cream i bought for tinea on it and it actually turned slightly whiter than her natural skin befor it disapeared after a few days. A few days with no cream and it came back brown again and more on her back as well...i have used the cream off and on for about 2 months but it is getting worse...fades them to start with but comes back worse each time. is it fungal or is it something else....what can i use to get rid of it...she does ballet every day so her skin is always on show and is making her self concious
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: they are not itchy at all
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she has had this developing over about two months now....one year ago she had a burst apedicitus and had it drained under CT scan and a general anaesthetic...I was told the radiation was not good
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Hi Dr. Mo here, could you upload some images of these spots?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Do these patches every get dry and flaky or are they only displaying that brown color?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
no they are not dry or flaky just brown ...they have faded too much to show in a photo todday because i put the cream on yesterday . I will take photos when they show up dark again...it is hard to put the cream on them when they fade because you cant see them then they just come back and worse
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

If they are blotchy I would suspect they are fungal, what we call tinea versicolor.

In some they will be darker and in some they will be lighter.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

The doctor, either regular or dermatologist, can prescribe a nizoral body shampoo which can get rid of this.

Also, oral meds can be given as well.

But we always prefer topicals over oral meds.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
the colour is not blotchy . very even and ever so slightly raised if i let it go a week without cream. is it possible for one person to have somelighter patches and darker patches at the same time. Also how much is this costing me in NZ dollars please
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Yes, it's possible to have different shades, lighter and darker, on the same parts of the body.

How spread out is it on the back?

I am not sure how much you are getting charged, JustAnswer brings the expert and customer together, I only know what I will get paid on my end for answering the question as a physician ($20).

I'm sure you can contact customer service, they are very quick to reply.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
on back of neck, one or two on each upper arm, some on sholders, down the middle of her back and or left lower back
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ON left lower back
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

I see, that sounds about right for tinea versicolor. Please let me know what questions you have for me.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 23 days ago.

Sorry, something must be wrong with the site, my messages are delayed and getting sent multiple times.