Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have had protected sex with someone recently and in the

Customer Question

I have had protected sex with someone recently and in the past few weeks am worried due to red spots on thigh. Was wondering what they could be?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 18 days ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What type of sex was this?

How old are you?

M/F?

Can you upload a picture of the rash?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex. I am 32 male with a clean record and this is the first sexual encounter in 2 years. I do not have any medical history and I am not on any medication.I don't have any symptoms at the moment - this was a few weeks ago. After 2-3 days I noticed a single red mark on my groin area shaped like an ingrown hair which did not hurt or have any feeling. I squeezed it on my own. Nothing else came up for a while but then a few days after that I noticed what looked and felt like a spider bite or mosquito bite on my right buttox cheek. That has scabbed over from itching.Then in the past few days (this is now at the 2 week mark) I have single red spots which are not itchy or anything but I noticed them on my thigh (right side inside). I am getting tested and the results should be back by Friday but I just wanted an opinion as to what it could be. I should also mention I am living in a hotel - so my first thought was it could be spiders or bugs, etc. Secondly, I work with a harness which I just started using and there is contain friction and strain in that area from the strap as I am climbing constantly. I have attached three photos - one is my right buttox cheek and the others are my inner thigh.

Thank you for that additional information and pictures.

Good news. Those spots do not look like any sort of STD or herpes etc.

While it difficult to tell for sure from just looking at a few pictures, those look like areas of minor staph infections from the bacteria getting under your skin near hair follicules.

I do not think those are spider or bug bites, but it is possible...

So. what is the take home message?

I'd wash the areas with warm water and a mild soap at least twice a day. Then apply some triple antibiotic or neosporin ointment (available everywhere).

If things are not better in a 4 or 5 days, or they get worse then have an MD take a look at you in person.

Does this make sense to you?

for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS