Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm confused on if I have genital herpes or another type of

Customer Question

I'm confused on if I have genital herpes or another type of std
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 25 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What symptoms are you having?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The only symptoms I have are I have a sore on upper labia majora and one right below it that looks like a white head with yellow tint they do not itch and only hurt when they are messed with

Certainly, a sore on the labia can be herpes. To be able to make a substantive comment, it would help to review a picture of the sore. This is obviously a sensitive area to be posting pictures on an internet site. However, is it possible to get a close up picture of the sore without being too embarrassed about it?

Also, how long has these sores been present?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i have attached a picture

I received the picture.

How long has this been present?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I noticed it Saturday it did not look like that Saturday it looked way different I put apple cider vinegar on them and they got like that I have attached how they look before

Thank you for the pictures.

Any ulcer on the genitalia should raise the question of herpes. However, there are a couple of aspects that are not typical for herpes. The earlier picture does not look like herpes. And even in the current picture, it looks like there is an area of swelling and firmness that surrounds the ulcer. It raises the question of whether this is actually a sweat gland that as gotten inflamed or infected and drained, creating the sore that now looks like an ulcer.

Does the surrounding area feel firm to the touch?

Was there any drainage that you noticed as the sore evolved since Saturday?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I don't recall any drainage but yes they are firm around the touch

At this point, I think that it is more likely that this is not herpes. It would be reasonable to manage this as a sweat gland that has gotten inflamed ans see if it resolves more quickly than would be expected from a herpes sore. It would be reasonable to soak in a Sitz bath, which is warm bath water to which some Betadine (povidone-iodine) has been added. You can then apply a topical antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. It is important that you not pick at or squeeze the sore, as this can slow healing.

A herpes sore will typically take 2-4 weeks to heal, but if this is an inflamed sweat gland, it will more likely significantly heal over a few days and be mostly healed in about a week. If it heals quickly, that would also suggest that this is not herpes.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Okay I will go buy some ointment and see how it goes thank you

You are most welcome.