DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Please can you reassure me, I have a red spot on the back of

Customer Question

Hi please can you reassure me, I have a red spot on the back of my neck, I think it appeared about two weeks ago, it started out being itchy, I thought it was a bite as I was staying away from home and maybe different pillows etc, it is still there and I went to the nurse at our local practice who suggested fucidin but to go back if it didn't go away, I haven't used the fucidin as I was worried about the side effects on eyes as I use contact lenses, please could you let me know if it looks cancerous as that is my main concern, I suffer from health anxiety and it is preying on my mind, how do I send a photo?
Many thanks
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 25 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Is it painful,tender to touch?

Is it getting bigger in size?

Upload the pictures here using the paperclip like icon in your chat box.

Upload the pictures to online photo sharing websites like Photobucket/Mediafire/Flickr/photobox/picasa web albums and paste the link here.

Thanks.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Hi no not painful it was itchy at the beginning that is how I realised it was there, it is just in a place where everything I wear rubs it, no it's not got any bigger, I think it started as a roundish spot and now doesn't feel as raised.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your pictures and as you describe it doesn't seem cancerous in any way.

I really assure you that you shouldn't worry at all.

Just try fucidin cream as it wouldn't affect your eyes as you are using it on back of neck for topical use and not near or inside your eyes.

You can take OTC Motrin and Claritin for few days.

Also apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream on it.

Most likely it'll resolve by it's own.Keep a positive attitude.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Thank you for replying so promptly, I just wondered if you could tell me whether a bite would take a while to settle down and whether it is ok to just leave it for a while without the cream to see? as I said I think everything I wear rubs it, I have had it about two and a half weeks. I am relieved you said it doesn't look cancerous I frightened myself looking at images on line and thought mine looked like a basal cell carcinoma, I am at a very low point in my life and this worry just overtakes me at times,

Many thanks

Expert:  DermDoc replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I would recommend to use cream as it'll heal fast.

And wear loose fitted cotton clothes to prevent friction.

You shouldn't worry about cancer or basal cell carcinoma.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.

many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 25 days ago.

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. Bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide rating.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil

Customer: replied 22 days ago.

Good Morning,

I have tried to rate you five stars and hope that this has happened, just wanted to check with you as I am a health anxiety sufferer that you could view my picture clearly as when I tried to open it it was a bit blurry, I have sent another just in case, I am sorry to bother you, I haven't been able to start the cream yet as I was worried that if it was a cancerous spot then the fucidin H would make it worse? would you mind just reassuring me again, the one with the fluffy jumper was taken today the other one the day before,

Many thanks

Expert:  DermDoc replied 22 days ago.

I understand your anxiety.

And I really assure you 100 % that it's not cancerous.

And you must try such self care measures and cream as we discussed earlier.

You'll definitely feel better.

I wish for your good health.

Kind Regards
Dr.Anil