Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I am very concerned with the late on-set of full vitiligo

Customer Question

I am very concerned with the late on-set of full blown vitiligo appearing suddenly. I had welts/sores on my chest that appeared and then disappeared. Vitiligo seems to be spreading and appearing on arms, back, chest and finally on my face.
What would you do to find out why this is happening? I am a white, 47 year old, male.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Could you post a photo on this page? If not, can you fully describe this condition?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have described that I recently noticed that I had welts/sores on mid-chest that disappeared after a week and a half. The appearance of late on-set vitiligo patches have begun to appear on my chest, arms, back and legs. I am a white, 47 year old, male. What is happening? I placed hydrogen peroxide on the sores before they disappeared but the vitiligo seems to be spreading. Can you diagnose what this is?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 28 days ago.

OK.

Usually vitiligo doesn't suddenly crop up all over the body so this is likely tinea versicolor which can look like vitiligo

It can be treated with over the counter Lamisil cream or prescription oral Diflucan.

Nothing really too serious. I'd suggest you have a doctor take a look at it.

If, by chance it is vitiligo, that can be treated with prescription tacrolimus cream.

Please let me know if you need any more information John