Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have lived in CO my whole life and have never had problems

Customer Question

I have lived in CO my whole life and have never had problems with a dry scalp. Last winter, I started to get a dry, itchy scalp mostly on the back of my head. I have changed my shampoo to a natural shampoo called "Yes to Carrots" with tea tree oil and other natural oils in it. I rub coconut oil on the dry spots a few nights a week before bed. I can't get it to go away. Do you have any suggestions for what I can try?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Do you see any visible dandruff in the hair?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, there are dry flakes that are visible when I itch it. I guess that is considered dandruff? No other medical conditions
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

Yes that is what I was asking - thank you for the information. Typing out an answer, be back with you shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 months ago.

There are two possibilities given your history. The first is Scalp Psoriasis and the second is Seborrheic Dermatitis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition where skin is made faster than normal - any body area may be affected but scalp is one of the commonest. Seborrheic Dermatitis on the other hand is a type of dry eczema related to a scalp yeast. Both conditions have more of a nuisance value than anything else; they are not harmful or dangerous. Both can occur for the first time any time in life.

If possible I would recommend discussing both of these with your doctor since they are best treated with prescription products. If not here is what I would recommend as far as an over the counter regimen goes:

Psoriatrax 5% Coal Tar shampoo + Nizoral-AD shampoo: Mix in equal proportion and lather onto the scalp. Leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse off. Do this every alternate day. These shampoos can make the hair dry so make sure you condition afterwards.

Mg 217 Psoriasis lotion: Apply once at night before sleeping and then wash off in the morning. Use daily for 6 weeks and then 2-3 times a week for 3 months.

Omega-3 Fatty Acid capsules: one morning and evening for 3 months. Tablet Claritin or Zyrtec 10 mg can be taken once or twice a day as required for itching.

No hair oil application

NOTE: All of the above are available over the counter without a prescription. You can also buy them online at sites like amazon.

I'd be happy to answer any further queries you may have regarding this problem. If there are none kindly consider rating our interaction positively to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.