khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

Hive like bumps. Uncontrollably itching at night, but not

Customer Question

Hive like bumps. Uncontrollably itching at night, but not where the bumps are.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you have a rash and itching.

Can you send pictures and describe where you have the itching?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Uploading the pictures now. The itching is never anywhere specific. Arms, back, legs, bottocks. The bumps themselves are irritating but I don't see marks where I'm itching sometimes. Maybe they're just smaller
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PIctures
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They're also appearing on my scrotum and shaft
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Several possibilities causing this:

Bed Bugs

Scabies

Flea bites

Folliculitis

Lice

Because these are treated differently, may I suggest you schedule an appointment with a Dermatologist or a visit to an Urgent Care Center to determine an exact cause and provide appropriate treatment. You can also try an over the counter antibiotic cream (Bacitracin) and Benadryl cream applied twice daily. This will treat folliculitis. If bed bugs, fleas then an exterminator and replacement of your mattress. There are also over the counter treatments for lice, but I doubt that's the cause due to the wide area that is affected.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Did you try Bacitracin and Benadryl? Did it help?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None of that helps. I might have scabies. It's uncontrollably itchy at night and my partner recently started getting itchy as well. but I have no signs of burrows or things like that. Just what you've seen from my pictures. If you can have someone else that might know more about this situation that would be great
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 3 months ago.

Scabies was in my list of possibilities as well as bed bugs. Either could be the cause. Do yourself a favor and see a doctor to get the prescription medication you need. I will opt out, as you requested.

Expert:  khagihara replied 3 months ago.

It seems to be bedbug bites. Pruritic bites can be managed symptomatically with topical corticosteroids and/or systemic antihistamines. Management of bedbug infestations starts with identification of the bug. Control of bedbug infestations requires an experienced pest management professional. Affected individuals should not attempt control measures themselves.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Should I typically be uncontrollably itchy?
I've checked for bugs the ways I've been advised to and found nothing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
More pictures just in case

The sites of skin reactions are frequently pruritic. The suspicion of bedbug bites may arise based upon clinical findings, but the diagnosis must be confirmed by detection of bedbugs in the patient's residence or place of work. Detection requires careful visual inspection of typical harborages, placement of passive (physical or adhesive) or active (heat- or carbon dioxide-emitting) traps, or deployment of trained bedbug-detection dogs. Small infestations of bedbugs are difficult to detect and an infestation may be suspected if specks of feces or blood are found on linens, mattresses, or behind wallpaper. You should hire the specialist to detect them.