DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I'm looking up whether a bump/scab is folliculitis or

Customer Question

I'm looking up whether a bump/scab is folliculitis or possible herpes
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I don't take any medications. I have appt for Thurs. But just trying checking facts.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have never tested positive for herpes and always practice safe sex but it's possible since my last test. I do have a history of aging folliculitis in my groin region from time to time especially after wearing hot/restrictive costumes like I did this weekend for Halloween
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: No but first time here. Overall good health. Need to lose some weight, but otherwise good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age and gender?

Where is bump located?

Pain,itching,discharge?

Tenderness,redness,swelling around it?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Are you taking any medications?

Please upload picture if possible.

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is your age and gender? 39 MaleWhere is bump located? Groin. about half an inch from penile shaft, right side.Pain,itching,discharge? No pain. Slight itching. No discharge but bump is now a scab so assume there was a draining a day or so ago.Tenderness,redness,swelling around it? Yes to all three but mild. Although surround by public hair I can see a hair growing out of the scab.Since how long have you been suffering from? Just noticed it 2 days ago.Are you taking any medications? No I am not.I'll see if I can send a pic.
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possibly it's folliculitis/ingrown hair.

And I really assure you that it's not herpes.

As herpetic lesions are painful and appear in cluster.

You have single bump with slight itching,tenderness,redness so you should try OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with bacitracin.

And use OTC Abzorb powder after bath.

You should wear loose fitted clothes to prevent friction.

Take OTC Motrin and Claritin for 3 days.

Most likely it'll resolve.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try the OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream if this persists for more than another day or two.Probably also caused by heat/friction of my Halloween costume but I have about 7-8 red spots in my upper groin / belt line area left side. They are small, not clustered, spread out over about a 2 inch square area. I can see hairs growing out of at least half of them. They are flat, not bumps with no itching, pain or discharge. They have been this way for 2-3 days since I first saw them. I noticed them a few hours before the bump on the groin. Also likely irritated hair follicle(s) and not herpes?
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes these can be friction induced bumps/folliculitis.

You should try such self care measures and you feel better.

In case they get very painful and bigger then see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just wanted to follow up for an opinion.Since last message the main sore scab fell off once in the shower on Wednesday but rescabbed by end of the day.I had tenderness in the groin between where groin and leg join on right side which feels like a swollen lymph node. This has not gone away but also not gotten worse up to today.I got mild muscle aches/fever symptoms on Thu and Friday (but not today) for a few hours which Advil took care of.The area has been mildly itching Wed and Thu but the itching increased mid Fri and throughout today. I assumed this was the scab healing but upon inspection I see three new smaller small bumps have formed around the upper part of the scab. Like the scab/original sore, there's a hair growing out of one of them, the other two have hairs very close.Fearing Herpes, on Wednesday I went to the clinic and they tested negative for Herpes Type 2 and Syphilis. I realize there's a chance this could be Herpes 1 on the genitals so I'm going in for that test on Monday.While the symptoms cover herpes the hair in the sore (very fine, hard to see but it's there) and one of the bumps and rate of progression to me is odd. The Doctor that did the STD testing/exam assumed if it wasn't either of those two STDs, it was a ruptured skin abcess caused by bacterial infection. He prescribed me Ciprofloxacin 500MG twice a day for 7 days. I've been taking it but so far symptoms are as described above.I realize with my history of folliculitis, the hot/constrictive costume I wore for Halloween Oct. 28th, (2 days before I discovered the first symptom), and that bacterial infections like this can cause these same symptoms (and likely the new bumps are caused by the original when the sore reopened and spread the infection nearby) That I should relax and assume the Doctor's Diagnosis is sound.But the new smaller bumps and increased itching gives me concern. Of course it leaves me wondering about other things like scabies, fungal infections etc. Or if I'm getting such a severe infection now that maybe this (couples with my history, ethnic background and a couple other mild symptoms) might possibly indicate diabetes. (I'll get tested for this too to be safe). I know, my mind is starting to run wild on speculation. Just wanted to get another opinion to help me through the next few days til I can get tested again.Thx.Pic included this time.
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I understand your worry.

I have reviewed your picture and I agree with your doctor's diagnosis.

I really assure you that chances of STD are less.

You can complete the antibiotic course as per directed.

And you can take OTC Motrin and Claritin.

Chances of scabies are very less likely.

Secondary fungal infection can be possible if itching is intense.

Also use abzorb powder also.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reply and reassurance.I'll try those OTC remedies. Do you recommend any other lotions or anti bacterial or anti fungal mess to help with healing /itching?Only other symptom of note in the last 24 hours is that I have been having mild but noticeable recurring pressure on my lower back and side on my right( same side as the abscess /bumps) and occasionally on left lower back too. I understand this is likely linked to the swollen lymph node in groin on the right. Only hope this means I'm fighting this infection off and not getting worse!
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

You just try such self care measures which we have discussed earlier.

You should try OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with bacitracin on affected area.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thnks. The ointments have been helping.The original scab has fallen off/healed fairly well but the surrounding area where the smaller bumps were is still tender, inflamed, red with a few tiny dots where hair follicles are that have a touch of crust on them. They haven't itched in the last two days.I just finished the antibiotics today but I'm still getting intermittant muscle aches in back/arms/shoulders, lower back/side pressure and my groin lymph nodes remain swollen. Is this normal for a bacterial infection/infected folliculitis?
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

You should continue same ointments application and take OTC Motrin for one more week.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, will do. So this is normal for such an infection?If it continues past a week or gets worse, just go see urgent care or my doctor?
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Yes.