vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H.In practice since last 35 years.
15267045

Sore in the middle of my bottom lip that will not go away

Customer Question

Sore in the middle of my bot***** *****p that will not go away after almost 3 months now. I have tried ointments and it seems like it's going to go away but just ends up scabbing again and then cracking because it's right on the crack...and then it all just repeats. It all started after snorkeling and getting sunburnt. I tried abreva for a few days but no help. Used a couple of different kinds of blistex and neosporin.Painful when it dries. Bleeds when it cracks. Only slightly tender when it is not dry but I need to constantly keep blistex on it and can never keep up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  vakularen replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The possibility of a cold sore ,or oral herpes simplex(HSV1) needs to be ruled out.Other conditions will include persistent apthous ulcers,underlying Crohn's disease,solar dermatitis and Chronic cheilitis. You need to be checked by your PCP/Dermatologist who can investigate you for HSV1 and HSV2 by blood tests.Treatment will usually be specific to the cause .Antiviral therapy and local application of Docosanol will help if HSV1 is found.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've used Docosanol (Abreva) to no avail. Blood test or not, wouldn't that have been effective if it was a cold sore/HSV1? If HSV1 is ruled out, can you tell anything from the pictures? And this all started after a long day snorkeling in the ocean 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had cold sores in the past but not many...and applying the Docosanol has always cleared it up in a matter of days.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But those cold sores were in the side of the lips where they meet... I've never had one on a lip like this thing.
Expert:  vakularen replied 1 month ago.

Solar dermatitis due to prolonged exposure to sunlight is another possibility,you may need antiviral drugs along with Abreva for this to respond.You need to see a dermatologist to rule out any serious condition as 3 months is a fairly long time.