dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I think I may have cellutitis.i started sucking on hard

Customer Question

I think I may have facial cellutitis.i started sucking on hard sugared candy daily for a few months a lot during the day,a excessive amount.I always suck on the left side of my mouth,i have a lot of old crowns in my teeth.i belive the suger has caused a infection in my skin,Could I try to stop the candy before I go to the doctor.I would like to see if that would help before I start antibioics.plus this may be a allergic reaction from the excessive suger.i went to the dentis a fewe days ago and had xrays.everything was good,normal results no tooth inection.i thought that was causing my facial pain and swelling.my skin iswarm but is on both sides.both sides are swollen but the left side more.i have been on lithium for a few months now so that also causes my facial sweeling.would it be dangerous to wait to see a doctor,what aare the warning signs that I should see a doctor.i don't hve fever or exteme redness.also if it is facial celluits can it get better without antibiotics
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
could the excessive suger intake cause a infection which could cause the facial cellutiitis.I stopped smoking years ago and started this candy intake about the time I started the lithium.I could see if the symptoms improved before I see a doctor by stopping the suger or is it too dangerous to have the facial cellulitis and not treat it right away.i am not sure if it is facial cellutis and could it get better by avoiding the allergen substance which is probly the excessive suger.would I be in danger if I waited a week or two or could I get extremely sick
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a pic?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no.but it isn't that red at all.just slightly differernet from the other side,nothing like you see on the online pictures
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I saw some online pictures of facial cellutis.mine doesn't look excessively red at all.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it just feels abnormal on that side of the face and it feels hotter sensation on that side of the face,It feels hot on that side of the face without feeling it with my hands.

Excess sugar wouldn't cause this

Because sugar isn't absorbed into the cheek

it goes into the blood

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i believe i have facial cellutis from the symptoms i am having.would it be dangerous to wait to see a doctor.what are the warning signs of facial cellutis.i am saying that the excessive sucking on the hard cady probly caused a infection
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
suger can cause inflammation and it gets in the teeth and causes bacteria ti enter the bloodstream.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
whtever caused it i am unsure of.can facial cellutis be healedwithout anibiotics
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my left side of my face feels hot without touching it and it feels abnormal.the lympe nodes on that side feel a little inflamed.Could this poosibly be treated at home first.i used to use hard candy for a week at a time then stopped.anyyime i used it i felt like i had a allergic reaction from the suger.I never resumed it,i started on lithium a few months ago and have used hard candy regerly due to increased appitite etc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you there