Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have had a rash that looks like hives that has turned into

Customer Question

I have had a rash that looks like hives that has turned into blisters for several weeks...it started on my abdomen and then went around to side of my back - a few under breasts & on buttocks...about 2 weeks ago, I used Triamcinolone cream & took Valacyclovir for 7 days, which gave me results, however, today, it has returned. I'm waiting to see my dermatologist, but wondering what I can do for the itching & keep it from spreading in the meantime. I haven't changed any of my eating/cleaning habits Do I need a biopsy to see what it really is?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi Maytha. Do you have any pictures of the blisters that you can upload?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've uploaded them & hit send but I don't think it's working
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Got them. Thank you. It looks like the blisters are in or near the center of the red spots. Is this correct? They also appear to be clear bubbles. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

While it is difficult to be certain, some of these lesions look like the classic "dew drops on rose petals" that are characteristic of chickenpox. Have you already had this in the past? Have you been exposed recently to anyone that might have it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I have not had chickenpox and I don't believe I have been around anyone that has....I don't have any of the other symptoms of chickenpox so I don't think I have this
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Chickenpox in adults can vary from very mild cases (particularly in those that may have had it many years ago and have partial immunity) to severe cases in which there is sore throat, fever, cough, even pneumonia. But if you are pretty sure you have not had it, this would be at or near the top of the list. Most individuals contract chickenpox as children or young adults, but a few are able to avoid it until much later in life. Either way, these lesions should feel better with cool compresses, aloe vera gel, hydrocortisone cream, or capsaicin cream (Zostrix) which is otc.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not had any of those symptoms & have been doing what you've described. Thank you but this hasn't helped.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. I did provide you with a likely diagnosis which should be reassuring and a good starting place for a discussion with your doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Are you already using the zostrix cream? You didn't mention that, and I think it is worth a try.