vakularen
vakularen, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H.In practice since last 35 years.
15267045

My father is 86 and is complaining of a severely itchy

Customer Question

My father is 86 and is complaining of a severely itchy scalp. Other than otc shampoos is there anything he can try?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  vakularen replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The commonest cause of itching of the scalp would be dryness of the skin(Xerosis),this occurs due to extensive use of soaps and shampoos,hot water baths,heated rooms,use of AC and aging due to which the skin looses its elasticiy.Other causes would include Eczema,Atopic Dermatitis,parasites like Lice/Pediculosis,neurodermatitis,and drug allergy/contact dermatitis .Use of moisturising lotions,steroid creams locally and avoiding hot baths and excessive use of cleansers will help.OLd herpes or shingles can also cause this,ruling out chronic kidney disease and liver disease will help as both these conditions can cause a very itchy scalp.It would be prudent to consult your PCP/Dermatologist to rule out various skin conditions like Psoriasis.