Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Are you live? a bot or real person? ok, that's good. I am

Customer Question

are you live?
JA: No. I'm the Dermatologist's Assistant.
Customer: a bot or real person?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Dermatologist. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: ok, that's good. I am kinda freaking out because I found out I had sex with a women who had herpes, although she says she has not had an outbreak in years. She told me after the fact but since them my mind has wandered and paranoia has set in about it. I have been examining my penile area a lot and I may have irriatated it by doing so. I may also have jock itch which could have spread to the penis tip area but not sure. How do I know if I have herpes? I do not see any blisters like the ones I see online
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: yeah
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your situation. Can i ask do you have any sort of rash in the area? You mentioned that you dont have any blisters but do you have any symptoms at all? If there is a rash can you attach a picture of it? Also was the intercourse protected or unprotected?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

Well there are a few things which should be considered here. The first thing is that since she hasnt had a outbreak in quite a while then the chances of you actually getting the virus is reduced. While you can get the virus even if there isnt an active outbreak on the other person, the chances are markedly low in such a situation. So there is a good chance that you didnt even get the virus. Secondly if you had protected intercourse that would also reduce the risk of transmission of the virus. These two factors combined would significantly lower transmission risk and in such a scenario you would have approximately only a 5-10% chance of getting the virus or even lower.

Now if you do have the virus, unfortunately there is no single confirmatory test for it apart from a PCR. Serological blood tests can be helpful in some cases as that would show if you have had a recent infection with the virus. If the test comes back as showing that you he positive IgM antibodies for the virus, that means that there is an active infection which is ongoing. If IgG comes back as positive that would indicate that you had an infection in the past but no active infection. You can get teh PCR blood test for the virus however that is an expensive test and usually not recommended but latest studies have shown it does have a high sensitivity for picking up the virus in your body even if you dont have symptoms. So this is one test which can be done to determine if you did get the virus from this encounter.

Simple itching in the groin region DOES not indicate that you have herpes, that can even be due to simple moisture or a fungal infection. Herpes would be diagnosed ONLY if you had blisters in the area. Usually the blisters can be so small that you may not even notice them, this occurs in a majority of teh population. Now if you want to know whether you got herpes or not, PCR would be the way to go but as i said this is an expensive test. My recommendation would be wait and watch, even if you did get the virus you should not be worried as it is treatable with drugs and it does NOT cause any life threatening or serious issues to your health.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/