DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I had a big outbreak of blisters on the genitals about two

Customer Question

I had a big outbreak of blisters on the genitals about two years ago, was diagnosed as genital herpes but a swab and type specific test came back negative. I've done recent blood work witch all came back negative for all STI's including hsv1 and hsv2. After the first outbreak I kept get reoccurring mild genital rash that form small painless sometimes slightly itchy bumps on the shaft, I've showed doctors the bumps and said its just skin irritation. But it's reoccurring. Are genital warts a possiblity? The bumps clear up withing 2 weeks without any treatment. I've been referred to a dermatologist but is only available next year.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Have you undergone HSV1 & HSV 2 IgG also?

History of unprotected sex?

Please upload picture if possible

Penile discharge?

Thanks.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do have a history of unprotected sex, I've gone under IGG tests, 3 doctors told me it's not herpes from the extensive blood work and no discharge. Thanks
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

In my opinion you should ask your doctor for following blood test.

Herpes Simplex Virus, Type 1/2 DNA, Real-Time PCR

If PCR test is also Negative herpes should not be considered as a diagnosis and it may be treated as a skin irritation or fungal infection.

Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

It's my privilege to help you if you have any further query regarding your this health issue.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm just confused of how herpes screening is still a possible outcome I've had at least 5 igG type specific blood tests and a culture since the initial outbreak witch are all negative. The bumps and red skin I get now look nothing like the initial breakout I had? Thanks
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

The culture often fails to find the virus even when it is present.

A PCR is a more advanced test since it detects the DNA of the virus.

ELISA antibody test may not be 100% accurate and may show false Negative results.

This don't look like HPV.

Probably a Negative PCR test will rule out herpes.

Also AEC or IgE test may be done to rule out allergy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi doc, I visited A new GP in the same clinic again today. we went through my test results and I was NEG for IgG and PCR already. He presriped me with anti depressants.
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

With a Negative PCR test Herpes is ruled out.

I do think this is a skin irritation or allergy only.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure weather the PCR was swab or blood test but the words PCR was written on two tests. Thanks doc.
Expert:  DermDoc replied 1 month ago.

PCR has been shown to be 1.5 to 4 times more sensitive than viral culture in detecting HSV infection.So in my opinion you don't have herpes.

A PCR test can be done on cells or fluid from a sore or on blood.