Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

The corners of my mouth and thin and dry, but no scaliness

Customer Question

The corners of my mouth and thin and dry, but no scaliness or sores, my dentist has difficulty getting his tools in to do my dental work. I use metrocream to keep out bacteria twice a day; dry mouth, but sometimes very wet, xylitol gum irritates and does not help like it once did.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Can you upload a picture?

how long has this been going on?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
his started about six months ago after I did a run of PEG3350 as a laxative for longer than I should have. I no longer use that or any laxative, but the dry mouth is exacerbated by lots of things. I eat lots of cooked vegetables (7or 8) starting at breakfast , less fruit , and very little sweets, but lots of roughage and very little wheat. I use several naturopathic "meds", but they are all tested without any side effects.and mavik, for high blood pressure.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have upper dentures and partial lower ones, but the uppers are too loose and the lower ones are very awkward to fit in although they fit perfectly when I do get them in. I use baby vaseline to keep my lips from drying and I use metrocream at night and in the morning to prevent bacterial movement at night and during the day. I can chew my food alright, but I often have to take my teeth out to swallow a mouthful of food. It is all very disagreeable.

Thank you for that additional information.

Given all the difficulty you have been experiencing I believe you should do a couple of things:

1. Get your dentures replaced/repaired so that they fit better. You should not have to take them out to swallow.

2. Consult with a dermatologist about the corners of your mouth. What you are doing is obviously not working -- time for some expert assistance.

does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS