Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Can laundry detergent, hair products, fabric softener cause

Customer Question

Can laundry detergent, hair products, fabric softener cause back acne? If yes, how much of a probability would back acne be caused by this very-low, low, med, high, very-high?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 6 months ago.

Hello.

This is Dr. Bonilla. I understand your concerns.

The possibility is very low. Acne is usually secondary to hormonal imbalances. Please leave a positive rating.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You need to reply with more details. That is probably why you got 2 stars. Please opt out of this question so another can answer.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

This is a different expert. Well actually back acne is usually not caused by the products which you have mentioned so the probability of that would be classified as low. The reason for this is that these products do not cause an increased release of the hormones and secondly, they usually dont clog the pores of the back which can in turn lead to development of the acne. HOWEVER that being said all of these products can worsen a patient with pre existing acne. That means that if you have had the problem previously then these products can certainly cause the problem to flare up as a result of exposure to these products. The way to understand this is by actually knowing what actually causes the acne in the first place. One is the hormonal predisposition which i already mentioned however at the same time other factors play a major role as well. Clogged pores, infections, irritation of the hair follicles by certain clothing etc all play a role in the development of back acne. Another thing is that some types of back acne occur because one reason more than others for example, Whiteheads, also referred to as closed comedones, develop when a plugged follicle stays closed and underneath your skin, forming a white bump. This usually due to a clogged pore. Similarly pustules are due to an infection of the area with bacteria.

So in short, while these products can irritate the skin and cause worsening of pre existing acne but they would not cause development of a new case of acne in most cases. So i would keep the probability as low here. Another thing, these products while dont cause a new case of acne they can however cause contact dermatitis to occur which can sometimes mimic back acne. Contact dermatitis is a sort of an allergic reaction which can cause flaking skin and even a rash similar to acne. So it is important to differentiate between the two.

I hope this answers your question, if not please let me know what else you would like to know.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

This is a different expert. Well actually back acne is usually not caused by the products which you have mentioned so the probability of that would be classified as low. The reason for this is that these products do not cause an increased release of the hormones and secondly, they usually dont clog the pores of the back which can in turn lead to development of the acne. HOWEVER that being said all of these products can worsen a patient with pre existing acne. That means that if you have had the problem previously then these products can certainly cause the problem to flare up as a result of exposure to these products. The way to understand this is by knowing what actually causes the acne in the first place. One is the hormonal predisposition which i already mentioned however at the same time other factors play a major role as well. Clogged pores, infections, irritation of the hair follicles by certain clothing etc all play a role in the development of back acne. Another thing is that some types of back acne occur because of one causative factor more than others .For example, Whiteheads, also referred to as closed comedones, develop when a plugged follicle stays closed and underneath your skin, forming a white bump. This usually due to a clogged pore. Similarly pustules are due to an infection of the area with bacteria.

I hope this answers your question, if not please let me know what else you would like to know. Also i have to go offline now, so i will not be able to reply to your additional questions but i will get to them as soon as i get back online. So please leave them here and i will answer them as soon as i am online.

Do you have any more questions?

I hope i have answered your question to your satisfaction, if not please let me know and i would be happy to continue this discussion.