DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

I am looking for a doctor who can help for vitamin -12

Customer Question

I am looking for a doctor who can help for vitamin b-12 deficiency. She is 40 and is going through menopause. She is experiencing dry scalp, oily hair and hair loss. I read that vitamin b-12 can help. She does not eat healthy. She took a Methylmalonic Acid, Urine Test. Below are the results.Methylmalonic Acid, U 37.8 High umol/L 1.6 - 29.7 01
MMA - Normalized 2.9 High umol/mmol cr 0.4 - 2.5
Creatinine(Crt), U 1.48 g/L 0.30 - 3.00 01 01 BNWhat does she need to take to get her vitamin b12 back to normal
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla. I understand your concerns.

Homocysteine and MMA need to be check first to determine the cause. It could be folate deficiency too. She needs a complete blood work and depending on the results the treatment can be implemented. She should see her PCP and have this done. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please leave a positive rating.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She doesn't have any time to take off. She has a new job. What does this test tell you regarding b-12.

The test result could indicate either B12 or folate deficiency. MMA and homocysteine in blood are necessary to determine the etiology. A full test in blood is necessary to determine the diagnosis and treatment.

Please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't understand why your saying to take a MMA Test when the Methylmalonic Acid test she took is a MMA TEST

It's the same test. However both of them (methymalonic and homocysteine) have to be checked at the same time to have an accurate diagnosis. With only MMA test is not possible to make as accurate diagnosis.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I understand, however, she is always tired and the MMA test showed that the creatinine is ok. Should I rule out her being tired from this test for now?

It could still be B12 or Vita B12 deficiency. Please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll be glad to leave a positive rating when I'm through ,however, I still have questions. If she takes both tests at the same time and the results are the same what mcg should she take for b-12?

1000 mcg daily for 7 days and then 1000 mcg weekly. Thanks for your rating.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When my daughter takes the methymalonic test and the homocysteine test together and the diagnosis shows the same results listed below how serious is this diagnosis.Methylmalonic Acid, U 37.8 High umol/L 1.6 - 29.7 01
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
THIS IS MY LAST QUESTION. I JUST WANT TO KNOW THE SEVERITY OF THE DIAGNOSIS 37.8 HIGH UMO1/L 1.6 -29.7 01. IF THIS READING IS STLL THE SAME AFTER BOTH TESTS TOGETHER ARE TAKEN WHAT IS THE SEVERITY OF THE READING 37.8. THIS IS WHY I CONTACTED YOU. YOU TOLD ME ANOTHER TEST WAS NEEDED AND I'M ASKING IF BOTH TESTS ARE TAKEN HOW BAD IS 37.8. AGAIN THIS IS MY LAST QUESTION. PLEASE REPLY
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER EXPERT TO GIVE ME MY ANSWER

Please start a new question

Get all the questions?