dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

PEARL May I question you? about the name of the skin

Customer Question

PEARL May I question you ? about the name of the skin disorder that mostly black people get where there skin loses pigmentatiion. And they have uneven color slot of times on the arms?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: No it's not my ailment my best friend is affected by it! And I called it alhopechiatta and he corrected me but he forgot the real name and I would love to let him know
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a diabetic I presently live in a nursing home for the first three months they gave me Mettaphormen 500mg 2td. And never checked my blood sugar or my A1C. Then after three months I asked them why not they replied why would we? I said because it is the first ailment listed in my discharge papers from the hospital that sent me here.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  The Physician replied 1 month ago.

Hello

Welcome to JA

One of the common skin disorder that affects blacks, and causes loss of pigmentation is VITILIGO

In simple terms it is due to the loss of cells (called melanocytes) that produce melanin on the skin. Melanin is the pigment that makes skin color dark.

So in an evenly dark person loss of these pigment can vary with the disease progression. In some it starts with a few patches and progressively widen and can occur even inside mucous surfaces like inner lips or anal area or vagina

The exact cause is unknown, but it is thought to be related to the melanocyte cells 'committing suicide' destroying themselves. It may be interaction of sun burn, emotional stress and immune disorders. it runs in families, but not in a strict way.Jackson