Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have recently found a small red patch on my arm it's a

Customer Question

Hi I have recently found a small red patch on my arm it's a little bit lumpy and not that itchy just wondering what it could be?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hopefully these photos work
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the photographs - are these on top of the arm or the under-surface?

Have you had more sun exposure than normal in the last few days?

When did you notice this patch?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They are in the underside of the arm
Only noticed it Sunday but Thursday, Friday and Saturday were quite sunny!
I've also been using plain soap of late also
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the information. The rash looks quite non-specific. It could be a mild heat rash or it could be a reaction UV rays (this is a rash called PMLE). Either way nothing to worry about.

I would suggest just keeping the skin moisturised with a bland moisturiser like Cetaphil and the rash should clear up in 1-2 weeks. If you don't see much improvement in 2-3 days then you can apply Cortizone-10 ointment (available over the counter without a prescription) twice a day on the patch for 7 days or so and that should do the trick. In the mean time stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible and avoid extremes of heat or humidity. Use a soap free body wash for bathing.

I'd be happy to answer any further queries you may have. If not kindly consider rating our interaction positively to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
definitely one of those two? just wanted to add a better photo
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 7 days ago.

Hello again,

Yes those two look most likely. Could also be an allergic reaction to something else that came into contact with the area but that's about it. Management would remain the same.

Let me know if you have any more queries, I'd be happy to answer them.