Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

Is there any way to track hair growth? I'm using Rogaine

Customer Question

Is there any way to track hair growth?
I'm using Rogaine extra strenght (liquid) to help my hair growth, but I would like to know if there is the possibility to do something to track this progress.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 13 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. Thank you for this interesting question. The best way to track your hair growth is to take weekly pictures of your scalp. Try to take your pictures covering the same area and using the same angle when you take the pictures. You can also have someone measure the hair growth using a solid ruler. Again in the same area each time. This will indicate both length of hair and fullness. You should start to see results in about 6-8 weeks.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 days ago.

Can I provide any additional information?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
if possible please, is there any tutorial or video that might teach me how to do this?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 10 days ago.

To apply minoxidil topical solution:

• Make sure your hair and scalp are completely dry before applying this medicine.
  • Apply the amount prescribed to the area of the scalp being treated, beginning in the center of the area. Follow your doctor's instructions on how to apply the solution, using the applicator provided.
  • Do not shampoo your hair for 4 hours after applying minoxidil.
  • Immediately after using this medicine, wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
  • Do not use a hairdryer to dry the scalp after you apply minoxidil solution. Blowing with a hairdryer on the scalp may make the treatment less effective.
  • Allow the minoxidil to completely dry for 2 to 4 hours after applying it, including before going to bed. Minoxidil can stain clothing, hats, or bed linen if your hair or scalp is not fully dry after using the medicine.
  • Avoid transferring the medicine while wet to other parts of the body. This can occur if the medicine gets on your pillowcase or bed linens or if your hands are not washed after applying minoxidil.
  • You can also find video's on that will provide additional hands on instructions.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Stan!
I'm sorry, I meant how to do the tracking!
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 9 days ago.

Tracking = measure hair growth?

If you go to "" and type in "Video to measure hair growth" you will get about 15 videos that will demonstrate this for you. Basically, the videos show you what I suggested with using a ruler and take weekly pictures.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 days ago.

Were you able to view any of the videos?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 days ago.

Is there any additional information I can provide?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 days ago.

I guess you didn't like the videos.