Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have went to three doctors about a skin rash I have been

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have went to three doctors about a skin rash I have been getting, and none were able to diagnose what it was. They just told me it should go away on its own.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: Not really. There are small red bumps that pop up every now and then. Like a few each day or so, but they go away quickly and don't bother me.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 12 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the rash, preferably a high resolution image that will allow zooming?

Have you tried anything to treat the rash?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I tried my best to get clear photos, but unfortunately these are the best I could do for now. If you need better ones, I can use my brother's professional camera tomorrow.The bumps are mainly on my upper arm. There a few that pop up that are red and pimple-like. About a few of these type of bumps pop up each day. Sometimes in different areas such as my chest, lower back and leg--but for the most part it's my arms. Most are very small. There is actually many small bumps on my upper arms that resemble goosebumps, which are the color of my skin. I get a mild-sensation from the bumps throughout the day sometimes, but it does not really bother me.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have been using sulfur soap, and sometimes bathing in Tea tree oil with Kleen free. I have been weary that this may be scabies, so it has made my life quite limiting. I avoid going out for the most part... The major part for me is to know if I am contagious or not. I have had this condition for 8.5 weeks--sometimes it milds out; and then pops up again. I have had 3 doctors tell me that this is no way scabies; however they are not skin doctors, and have not allayed my worries. Please help me.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The red bumps that pop up resemble the bumps within the photo 013340.

Thank you for the additional information.

The appearance on the images clearly does not look like scabies. The characteristic appearance of scabies involves the identification of burrows in the skin. The mite that causes scabies will travel or burrow under the skin, so that there are small lines that radiate from the bumps. The burrows may be few in number or be obscured if the patient scratches the area. However, I clearly do not see any burrows in any of these pictures.

Have you noticed any lines or burrows radiating from any of the bumps?

If so, can you attach a picture of that area?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's too difficult getting a decent photo with my phone camera. I take better ones later today if that would work. (Note: the photos did not capture the fine details)I've only seen one thin red line coming from one of the bumps--that bump popped up maybe in the first couple weeks of this condition (the line is still there but more faint). I don't really scratch at all either. Could it possibly be another skin condition like eczema or something? Could that spontaneously happen? As of right now, my upper arms have many faint small bumps(color of my skin) that look like goosebumps.May I ask: are scabies uncommon to occur compared to other skin conditions that do not involve infestations? I am rather paranoid.I don't know if this is adequate information for you to make a diagnosis.
Let me know if there's anything else I can clarify.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can take better ones* (typo in second sentence)

It is fine to attach some pictures later today and we can wait to make final comments until I can review those pictures. If I have stepped away from the computer, I wll be back online later today and will respond when I am back online.

However, some other comments regarding this information:

Scabies is very common in certain countries, but is only moderately common in the US.

Eczema is much more common, but the term, eczema, actually refers to several different causes of inflammation in the skin. Some of these can arise suddenly, particularly when there is inflammation of the skin in response to substances with which you have come in contact.

I will look for the additional pictures later today.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 days ago.

I have been looking for additional pictures and have not received them.

The pictures that you have provided thus far certainly do not have the appearance of scabies or any other contagious illness.

If I can provide any further assistance, please let me know.