Mohammad Ashori
Mohammad Ashori,
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician at Kaiser Permanente

For almost 2 months I've had open cuts in the corner of my

Customer Question

For almost 2 months I've had open cuts in the corner of my mouth which thankfully closed but now around my mouth is really dark and dry and although the cuts are closed you can still see they were there I don't know what to do.. please help me!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 18 days ago.

Hi Dr Ashori here, give me a moment to reply please.

If you have a picture that would be helpful, you can upload it here.

However, I already know what's going on and thankfully what you have is reversible.

It's a form of angular cheilitis (not actual AC). The fact that it healed is a good sign, however what can happen is because of the bacteria found in the mouth the skin can get thickened, scaly and dark. This is common after such an injury/infection.

It's important to know what caused it, either a cold sore, allergic reaction or perhaps a cold that you recently had.

In either case, the issue now is a cosmetic one and in order to make it heal you need to do a few things, please follow everything on this list:

• rinse out your mouth every night and morning with a little baking soda and water or with antiseptic mouth wash (such as literine or something like that)
  • brush 3x per day with a flouride free toothpaste (for the next 3 months, then you can switch back to flouride)
  • apply a little bit of coconut oil or shea butter lotion to the corners of your mouth 2-3x per day
  • use a little but of hydrocortisone 0.5% ... a VERY SMALL amount with a q-tip or other small applicator and put it on the corners of the mouth 2x per day for 1 week
  • avoid eating anything that makes your moth burn or anything that's super spicy or acidic

Do these things first, then you have to wait 2-3 weeks for all the dead skin to disappear. After that the new skin that grows will be healthy normal skin and the dark patches will go away.

If by chance there is a still a little bit of darkness you can always try something like Tri-Luma cream or you can use the non-prescription version called Hydroquinone which should be applied for no more than a month or it can make the darkness worse.

Expert:  Mohammad Ashori replied 15 days ago.

Hope my answers were helpful.
Please click on "Rating" if you don't have any other questions so that we can complete this transaction.

Dr. Ashori