Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I noticed a small black /blue spot on... I noticed a small

Customer Question

Hi. I noticed a small black /blue spot on...
Hi. I noticed a small black /blue spot on big toe nail near base line It has grown a small bit since. Can you advise if this is a nail fungus . Thanks in advance
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 18 days ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

The picture is out of focus. Can you get a better shot with the lesion in crisp focus?

How long has it been present?

Has it changed at all?

Any history of trauma to the area?

Any pain?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Approx 3 weeks. No pain and don't remember trauma. . The spot seems to of got tiny bit bigger last couple weeks. I have crohns and do take pentasa
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Apologies have phone on charge battery low so flash wont work on camera

Thanks for that additional information and the new picture.

Well, the first thing everyone thinks about when they see a spot like this is "Deadly Melanoma!!"

Well, good news.

Melanoma is very rare. It is more likely that what you are seeing is a collection of blood under your nail (a bruise).

Of course, the only way to be 100% sure is to drill a hole down to the lesions or pull off your toenail and do a biopsy....

What would I do, or tell my daughters to do?

Just watch it for now and not worry.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yeah Google is not the best thing to go by always worse case scenario at times .! May I send another photo when phone charges a bit .? may I ask another question the last year my skin has gone bad. Break out. Dry skin. I am aware this can be an affect with crohns as years go on notice more changes joints are sore. Is there any creams /vitamins you recommend. I have tried everything my doctor prescribed but no joy
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Rick see new photo attached. Can you advise many thanks

Thank you for the new must have charged your phone ;)

Does not look like anything scary...

Just watch it and see what it does if you are concerned.

Make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS