dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I'm not sure what the difference is between a cyst and a

Customer Question

Hi I'm not sure what the difference is between a cyst and a boil. But I have what I think is a boil on the bikini line. The shape is more longer than just round. Iv had this a couple of times now over the last 12 months. Starts off as a kind of lump, then gets bigger in size and then very sore, then finally the white tip appears and it's extremely painful. Then finally it breaks and drains but I'm not sure if it's fully draining or not. This time it also went a shade of really dark red possibly purplish and the dressing I used to cover it seemed to have a reddened tinge tonit when I removed it.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I'm wondering why I keep getting them, and it's been more frequent and on the same side. Today it finally ruptured. But it was so painful last night it kept me awake most of the night. Also makes movement and or walking sitting etc extremely uncomfortable until it bursts.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Last night was extremely painful. I actually couldn't get comfortable in any position trying to sleep. So most kind of movement was uncomfortable. I used some dressing to cover the area this morning and got a face washer and put it under hot water wrung it out and pressed that on the area for an hour or so then by earlyt this afternoon it had finally ruptured. I'm just wondering why I seem to keep getting them?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take epilllim 400 mg nightly for mood stabilising not for epilepsy. I am currently using duromine 30 mg for weight loss and take magnesium at night
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 19 days ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What is your age?

History of unprotected sex?

Excessive sweating?

Do you still have discharge from it?

History of shaving frequently on bikini line?

Please upload a picture if possible.

Waiting for your response.