Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

A few weeks ago, I shaved my pubic area and later on noticed

Customer Question

A few weeks ago, I shaved my pubic area and later on noticed some bumps. They've persisted passed when razor burn should heal. They haven't changed in size or anything.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the bumps here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is some razor burn. But the bumps are right at the base on my penis. Haven't spread.

Thank you for the additional information, ill just go through the pictures and get back to you in a fe wminutes!!!

A couple of other questions, do you have any pain or itching in the area? Any history of unprotected intercourse recently? Any other symptoms apart from the bumps?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't had any new partners. But, I've had unprotected intercourse with my current girlfriend. No pain or fever or anything. I have some itching, but I think that's from shaving. I tried to pop them and they seem to do so. When I do, a white, skin-like substance and some blood seem to come out and the bump looks like it's gone, like it came right off after.

Well from the picture i would agree with you this doesnt look like razor burn but it can be a couple of other things. One thing whichcomes to mind is molluscum contagiosum which is a viral infection usually transmitted via sexual intercourse. It causea painless rash which is flesh colored or whitish in nature and would usually form a dome with an opening in it. This would then extrude out white cheesy material. This can be treated effectively and in most cases is harmless in adults. While right now they are not completely consistent with molluscum contagiosums appearance it is possible that they may grow in size and if so may need removal by cryotherapy etc.

Another cause of this can be early genital warts which can appear in this manner, they can slowly grow in size to a more warts like appearance over time usually takes 2-3 months. In early cases they appear as flesh colored bumps which are painless in nature. The bestvway to determine if these are warts would be watch and wait and see if they grow in size and if they do, then they an be effectively removed with the help of topical medication like imiquimod or even with therapies like cryotherapy.

lastly Since they can be "popped" as you say it is possible that this is simple folliculitis which is causing inflammation of the hair follicle and thus causing an infection in the area, the white material can be the infected material being extruded. This can be managed with oral antibiotics. These can also be enlarged sebaceous cysts which can also be burst in this manner and are usually harmless. They can be removed for cosmetic reasons but usually require no treatment.

Now since these are persistent for the last few weeks, tyou do need to see a dermatologist the two most likely possibilities here are molluscum contagiosum and sebaceous cysts both of whom can be treated very easily by your dermatologist in his office. I would suggest that you do visit him at the earliest.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found this photo online. This is a lot what it looks like, if that helps.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also- are there any otc treatments for molluscum

Unfortunately there are no OTC treatment options for molluscum, this is because most cases clear up on their own however thjose that dont require any of the following treatment options, cryotherapy has been the most effective one,

• Cryotherapy with liquid nitrogen.
  • Benzoyl peroxide cream.
  • Sodium nitrate co-applied with salicylic acid.
  • Potassium hydroxide 5 or 10% topical solutions.
  • Iodine preparations.
  • Hydrogen peroxide 1% cream.
  • Imiquimod 5% cream
  • Pulsed dye laser.

But you can also have warts as i said, as they can appear in this manner in the early stages.

Do you have any more questions?

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.