Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

Last week I was cleaning out an office and there was a bag

Customer Question

Last week I was cleaning out an office and there was a bag of garbage bags at the bottom of a trash can. I went to get them out and accidentally touched a tissue with something on it that may have been blood. It was yellowish but not sure if it had some dried blood spots. My finger has a small area where the top layer of skin is picked off but it never bled, it just wasn't completely in tact skin. I sometimes pick my fingers due to anxiety so it almost looks like small areas with skin peeling. I washed my hands with sanitizer about a minute after touching the tissue.
Would there be a risk of hepatitis or hiv transmission? Do I need to get tested?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to give you good news that both HIV and Hepatitis virus do not survive when blood become dried or in dry area. There is no chance and unlikely you will have risk of HIV or Hepatitis transmission. Please relax as I can assure that this is impossible to get in that way. You don't need any tests for that. Just relax and don't get anxious. There is not any possibility for that so this is a good news for you. All the best.

Please click positive rating hopefully excellent. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Don't worry if you forget anything you can always come back to me.

Best wishes

Amir

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I read that the hepatitis virus can live in dried blood for days. If that is the case, would it be possible to transmit this because of the peeling skin on my finger or would my finger cut have to be deeper for this?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 months ago.

This is not true hepatitis virus cannot survive in dried blood. No in either case there is not any possibility of transmission. There is not even single case of transmission reported in that way. I am a qualified gastroenterologist and internal medicine specialist so rest assure there is not any chance. There is a blood to blood contact or exchange of body fluids required to have transmission for both. Don't get anxious as there is not any possibility I can again assure for that.

Best wishes

Amir

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I saw on the cdc website that hepatitis can live outside the body. Are you saying that there are no cases of it being spread that way? Or because my cut wasn't bleeding that it couldn't be transmitted through it?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 months ago.

Yes there are no reported cases for such transmission from contact with dried blood. Also there was not any exchange of body fluids as your finger was not bleeding as well both factors are very positive. I don't agree with Hepatitis C or B living outside on dried surface as the virus can die very soon once outside. This is with all due respect to CDC website. In any case I have already told there are no reported or even not a single reported case of such transmission. You need to relax and need to avoid anxiety. You can always have tests if you want only for your peace of mind. If I would be you I will not worry for anything.

Best wishes

Amir