Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

A few nights ago, I began to feel like something was biting

Customer Question

A few nights ago, I began to feel like something was biting me in various places all over my body at night making it hard to sleep. I felt some pin pricks, I would get up run to the mirror and not see anything. Now, each day it is getting worse, now its not just at night but all day.
It feels like something is crawling on me sometimes, other times, feels like a pin prick, and other times just feels itchy. My nose is itchy, my ears, my scalp, my feet and one second im itchy on my head the next on my feet, then my finger, then my back-completely random. Sometimes it feels like I am being bitten other times it feels itchy. (I do have seasonal allergies-I take Loratadine 10 mg daily along with pantoprazole 40 mg daily-for acid reflux)-I did notice that I needed to dust my bedroom, so I dusted the ceiling fan etc hoping that would help and washed bedding)
At night it is the worst. I recently changed detergents and body wash, so I changed back to my normal items but that has not changed anything yet in terms of my itchiness and sensation like something is crawling on me.
I checked my dog for fleas and did not see anything and he is acting normal. As part of my job I do visit families who live in poor living conditions-but I try to be prudent about where I am sitting in their home. I do know that one little girl has some time of rash that had spread on her face and arms that I was visiting but parents did not tell me what she had and I know one family I visited has had problems with lice in the past.
When I check my body over I do not have any welts or large bug bites or a rash. I see only 3 small ones in different places, I think this is from me being outside daily with children in a somewhat weeded grassy area(its the only place to play outside) during play time.
I have washed my sheets and bedding three times. Showers seem to help, but then the itchiness and sensation starts coming back in about an hour.
Any ideas on what is going on with me? By looking at my skin, it looks like I am fine. I am so frustrated and itchy. (I am also a foster parent and have taken in 2 new children recently within the past two months)
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.I am reviewing your question.Please stay online.I am coming up with detailed answer within a couple of minutes.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of having severe itching all over body,feeling like something is bitting you,feeling of pin pricks since last few nights is suggestive of a condition called scabies.

This scabies is quite common in people living in poor living conditions and as you have to be in contact of such people as part of your job,this seems to be the probable cause.

Scabies is a transmissible ectoparasite skin infectionTransmission of the scabies mites involves close person-to-person contact of the skin-to-skin variety.

Following will help her greatly:

-Take anti histamine medication like tab.Citrizan 10 mg

-Apply Nix in a 1% creme-rinse liquid.Both of these are available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription & will help her greatly.

-Wash linens and bedclothes in hot water. Because mites don't live long away from the body, it is not necessary to dry-clean the whole wardrobe, spray furniture and rugs.

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your dermatologist for the prescription of cream containing 5% permethrin, which is left on the skin overnight and then washed off.In most cases single treatment is sufficient enough,occasionally a second treatment a week later may be required.Sometimes oral prescription medication like ivermectin may be required.Both are available as prescription from your doctor.

Usually & most probably the OTC medications described above subside the itching completely.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. How is your itching now?

Have you used the above described medications?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if

you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Do you need any further assistance?Please leave positive rating above the chat box so that I can get credit for answering and assisting you.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh