Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

I am a 45 year old female hairdresser who has struggled with

Customer Question

I am a 45 year old female hairdresser who has struggled with dermatitis on my hands almost my whole career. Within the last couple years it has become extremely bad to the point where it is affecting my quality of life. I have extreme itching, burning, skin peeling, swelling and pain that causes me to become nauseous at times. The palms of my hands crack, peel and bleed. The tops of my hands are swollen, have a red, raised rash area and one area that has a bump that won't go away. I wear cotton gloves underneath vinyl gloves when shampooing, rinsing, etc. I take every precaution I can think of to protect my skin, and it doesn't seem to matter. I have been to numerous doctors who have prescribed me prednisone, steroid cream, and at times antibiotic cream. I have multiple creams and lotions all of which are fragrance free that I have been told to use. When I have been on prednisone, it will clear up, but as soon as I am off of it, it comes back with a vengeance. Within the last couple years I have been diagnosed with chronic hives and asthma. I go to work everyday praying to God I just make it through one more day. I feel so defeated and I am desperate for some relief. When I am not at work I am at home holding ice packs on my hands because numbing my hands is the only way I can get relief from the burning, itching and pain. I cringe every time I think about having to do anything with my hands. I am desperate for help. =(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

I am so sorry that you are going through this, it sounds terrible.

From what I read you are taking all the necessary precautions.

It sounds like your dermatitis is so severe that you need something stronger than steroids in order for your condition to resolve appropriately.

There are treatments such as monoclonal antibodies which I did not see on your list of medications that you tried which can be prescribed by a dermatologist and would be the next step in your care.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!