Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Looks like an ulcer hard circular border no pain, but when

Customer Question

Looks like an ulcer hard circular border no pain, but when irritated it will bleed and make it itchy with pain.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's has been on my shaft for years as in off lighter color. Just the last 6 months or so it has gotten this raised border around it. Now it stays that way and feel kind of hard when touched
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

A chronic non healing ulcer and one that itches needs to be evaluated under a magnifying glass and a biopsy should be sent for examination under a microscope.

The bleeding and raised borders are concerning elements in an ulcer and basal cell carcinoma needs to be ruled out in this setting.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is basal cell carcinoma? This is what you think it is?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the treatment of this would be?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

A basal cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that can affect chronic non healing ulcers sometimes, and it is completely curable if excised in entirety. The treatment is first a biopsy and confirmation of the diagnosis and once confirmed, it can be excised under local anesthesia as an office procedure.

Unfortunately, pictures are not sufficient to make a diagnosis and that is why I stress that you get this examined by your PCP or your dermatologist before we draw any conclusions.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This type of cancer is found on the Penis, I see it usually from sun exposure, which I don't see how that could be in that area
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be from sort of std or some other for of skin disorder
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

That is correct. Sun exposed areas are at more risk, does not mean there aren't exceptions. But whenever there is a chronic ulcer, a biopsy is mandatory. A basal cell carcinoma is one of the differentials. However, a biopsy will lead us to the correct diagnosis.

STDs like herpes can cause chronic ulcers but they are weepy with a clear discharge, tingling and sharp pain and preceded by clusters of blisters.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay worst case scenario, treatment? especially being on the Penis sounds terrible.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

I understand that it sounds terrible, but it might turn out to be nothing but an ulcer that is just not healing.

Treatment at the maximum is a small elliptical excision around the ulcer (skin only) and suturing the edges together with fine thread and under local anesthesia. The wound should heal in about a weeks time and that's that.

Your doctor will do this an office procedure.

Wish you good health.