Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Small bump on side of left foot. I'm outer part of foot

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the bump?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm trying too.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I.hope this help s

Thank you for the picture.

This looks most like an inflammatory nodule. Is there any pain or tenderness associated with the bump?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh yes

Since there is pain and tenderness, this would be a further indication that this is due to inflammation. At this location of the foot, it most likely would be a type of tendinitis that then caused the inflammatory nodule.

If you have not yet tried anything, the usual first step would be the use of an anti-inflammatory medicine. There are two anti-inflammatory medicines available over the counter - ibuprofen and naproxen - but they would need to be taken regularly to get the optimal anti-inflammatory effect. It also can help to apply moist heat to the foot to ease inflammation.

Whenever there is inflammation in the foot, there should be consideration of shoes. Shoes that do not fit well are the cause of many inflammatory conditions, and even if there is an inflammatory condition that is not due to shoes, it can be made worse by shoes that are too tight. As much as possible, you want to be wearing shoes that are not restrictive.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I been taking naproxen for approximately a week 2x a day and I feel no relief. I was smacked with a power soccer guard and the top of my foot is still swollen. This happened on in August 13. It didnt hurt right away. But then started hurting. I am getting no relief with naproxen. And my pain level is like an 8. My shoes don't feel right and my shoes have never bothered me before.

Trauma can precipitate inflammation, but if the trauma were more severe, it also could have cause more serious damage to the bone or tendon in this area.

If you have been taking one pill of naproxen twice daily, it would be OK to increase to two pills twice daily. But if the higher dose is not helpful, either if you are already taking the higher dose or you now increase to the higher dose, then it would be better for you to be seen. If it is inflammation that is stubborn, then an injection of steroid medicine can help with stubborn inflammation. But your doctor can also check to be certain that there is no severe damage done to the foot from the trauma.

With swelling related to inflammation or trauma, it is not surprising that shoes don't feel right when they have bever bothered you before. If possible, try to wear looser shoes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I met don't feel tight.

If they don't feel tight, that is fine.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.