dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

On my hands, every once in a while, I have an itch that

Customer Question

On my hands, every once in a while, I have an itch that basically, for lack of a better description, feels like the top layer of skin turns soft. Just a basic itch of the area will result in a sore. It eventually heals but it is a slow process.
Any scratching on other areas of my hand using the same pressure do not result in a sore so I know I am not just some crazy person scratching a hole into his hand. I am worried that it could be some kind of cancer or auto-immune disease but have not had any success with online research.
I did visit a dermatologist about 10 years ago and when I described it he looked at me as if I was lying to him. I simply said that I scratch an itch and it took the top layer(s) of skin off of a small area of my hand. The area, in most cases is no larger than a dime but it looks pretty grusome.
You might say, well don't scratch it. Got it. I normally don't. Sometimes though I find myself scratching it without thinking and it happens. Natural feeling is to want to scratch an itch. Just never know when it is going to cause the issue.
Any thoughts or guidance would be great.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 months ago.

Can you attach the photos here? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Does anything make it better or worse? Any other symptoms besides the skin lesion? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Strange. I responded but just noticed it didn't post for some reason. Here it is again.

Photo:

6'1" 214 lbs. Nothing makes it better or worse that I know of. It seems random. No other symptoms and the itching stops after I ultimately scratch the spot. No medical problems other than possibly stress and, in the past, I had a bit of alopecia on my scalp but that went away and hasn't returned. I am fair skinned, as you can tell by the picture.

I am not taking any new medications, pills or herbs. Nothing in my family that I am aware of. My brother has the closest completion to me but he and I don't communicate.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

See attached. https://connectus.box.com/s/f7gl14jtumuh8qj12w36irnhuaqo6cuv

It looks like allergic reaction. Have you tried any medications? Do you have any allergies?