dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Trying to figure out what is going on with my skin. I do

Customer Question

Trying to figure out what is going on with my skin. I do have closed comedones at the top of my cheeks, and indented scars that have lost all firmness, the closed comedones have been there for almost a year and it seems that the scarring is happening inbetween them. I had a patch on my face that looked slightly wrinky for a few weeks and one morning i woke up to a bunch of small indented scars where that patch was.my whole skin feels mushy and has weird scars on places that have no acne what so ever. Not sure if related but in seems inside my face feels very tight and will harded mostly on the left side almost feeling swelled, then goes away and feels very mushy again. My whole face is loosing firmness, especially near the bottom which is where i have 0 Acne, but there is huge patches of scarring appearing. what can cause this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 6 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a picture?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
here are the pictures.

What did your dermatologist say Jessica?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I live in a small town and the nearest dermatoligist is 5 hours away and i have no way of being able to get there right now unfortunately. Do you have any idea what could be going on?

It looks like a combination of acne, acne scarring and melasma

you need to see a dermatologist for sure jessica

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ive only had a couple of the closed comeones tho, Ill get the rare pimple once a month. my skin tone is all the same colour, its the elastin in my skin being destroyed, What can be causing that? its also the spot where there is No closed comedones at all and no type of acne.. :/

I will opt out for another doc

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will they contact me?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

I am a Dermatologist by profession and I would be in a better position to help you in your query. Would you like me to help or answer further ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do I have to resend the pictures?

Thank you very much for the photos sent.

The skin is definitely loosing its elasticity due to loss of collagen and elastin which can happen due to the acne , ageing process.

There are a number of freckles on the skin as well.

All you need to firm up the skin is daily application of Vitamin C serum twice a day.

Recommended brands are Neutrogena , Clinique.

You would be able to purchase this online.

Also , use a sunscreen daily in the morning.

Please do note that if you can get a fractional Erbium Laser done on the area it will help in improving the area further.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thanks. I couldn't get the pictures of the scars all that well but ive been starting to develop small little indented scars on patches of skin on the left side of my cheek near the bottom as well, I've never really had pimples just once in a while its almost all closed comedones and they're very deep in the skin at the top of my cheeks, what could be causing my skin to start showing up scars where there had been no sign of acne or anything there? Starting to get really concered as they have been appearing almost every morning there is another new one its happening fast and it seems it happens on one side of my face then will start the same thing on the same spot of the other side, also I've never picked at the closed comedones and they have been there for almost a year with big indented scars all around them, couldn't get a better picture with the lightening on my phone.

Thank you for the information.

These atrophodermic scars or ice prick scars area common due to ageing and comedonal inflammation

It happens due to the tendency of the collagen and elastic fibres to degenerate .

This however can be stimulated once again with topical Vitamin C applications as mentioned above.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I will try that, vitamin c serum tends to break me out alot more as well, is there anything else you would recommend that would be good to get rid of the closed comedones?

You can try Retinoic acid or Adapalene.

You will not break out with this. But do continue with Vitamin C serum.

Remember to use Adapalene gel at night only.

Do you want me to release the rating service application so you can give me a feedback for my opinion provided ?

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thankyou I think that is about everything, I couldn't find the vitamin c serum. If its not to much to ask would you possiblt be able to send me a link to a website where I could buy one, there's so many want to make sure I'm getting the right thing

website link for vitamin C serum : http://www.obagi.com/patients/product-line/professional-c-products

Thank you so much for your reply.

Would you like to leave me a feedback for my opinion provided ?

Do you want me to release the rating service application now?

Best regards

Dr Pravin