DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Well, can anti-fungal otc be a remedy since I have only been

Customer Question

Well, can anti-fungal otc be a remedy since I have only been treated with anti-bacterial in the past and it did not do anything which led my 5 derms to collaborate to tell me to change my stressful work lifestyle. It finally went away by itsel. I'm sorry no picture at this time.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Nothing except xanex for stress
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: When under great deal of stress my scalp come up with dandruff type scales. Otherwise I am in good health at 66, working 40 hours a week at new job. Architect with stressful job and must work still. Had this condition 14 years ago with many derms. looking at it. It was mild looking, but annoying condition
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,it can be Seborrhoeic Dermatitis.It can be caused due to fungal infection.Trigger factors like excessive sweating,cold weather, severe mental or emotional stress,nutritional deficiency can flare up.

You should try some self care measures like

Try Nizoral-AD shampoo- apply and leave for 5 minutes on the scalp every alternate day for 4-6 weeks.

Try Cap Lumitene (Beta Carotene) and Biotin for daily use to prevent/slow down recurrences.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Also take proper sleep.

For chronic causes oral suppressive antifungal treatment along with topical steroids is required for a week every month throughout year.

It is also advised to go for scraping of skin/scales to rule out underlying causative agent of such condition and get treatment accordingly.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.