dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

My 5 year old had a wound that allowed him access for a

Customer Question

My 5 year old had a wound that allowed him access for a staph infection. He was treated over 2 weeks ago with antibiotics, ointment and following the antibiotics he was then was diagnosed with urticaria. It has since been a week and a half and he seems to get a non-itchy, non-raised rash on his face, neck, arms and chest that may last for a few minutes to 30 and gradual fade out. The rash does not seem to bother him, but the past day I have seen clusters of super tiny "pimples", but flesh-colored bumps around his nose, cheeks and mouth. Does he have a food allergy or is this his system still trying to equilibrate after the staph infection? He hasn't had this issue before.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The pediatrician recommended zyrtec in the morning and benadryl in the evening for his urticaria. The rashes seem to continue, but be less severe if he takes these meds. I have discontinued these meds for 2 days now to determine his response without any medication. I can not say for sure if his response is improved with the allergy meds or not.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry for your child and his infection.

often times when children are fighting off infections, whether viral or bacterial, they can develop a rash on the skin.

rash on the skin often can be a skin manifestation of internal inflammation.

what is most important is his wound healing up and if his staph infection getting better.

if he continues to have this wound or this staph infection, these could be enough to be causing internal inflammation which can cause skin rash.