Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What are these spots on the tip of the penis? I've had them

Customer Question

What are these spots on the tip of the penis? I've had them for about 2 days now. They dont itch or anything. It doesnt burn when I pee, they're just there. Could it be from friction or soap? I've attached photos.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask how long have you had these spots? Did you recently change your soap or hygiene products?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

The most likely scenario here is that you could have developed a simple reaction due to one of the soaps which you have been using. This can lead to contact dermatitis which can cause inflammation of the tip of the penis and also cause red spots like the ones you have. If this is the case then simple application of OTC hydrocortisone gel would be useful as well as changing your soaps. In addition OTC antihistamines would also be useful here.

Another cause of these can certainly be friction burns however they would usually cause a stinging sensation when water is applied to teh area or even cause pain in the region. It can be friction but they would not appear as discrete red spots in most cases.

The most likely scenario here is an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis, which should resolve with the use of OTC hydrocortisone and OTC antihistamines and if that doesnt work OR if you develop symptoms like burning, itching in the region, urinary symptoms then you would have to contact your doctor for antibiotics as that would indicate an infective etiology. Symptom less red spots are likely to be allergic and benign and i would suggest that you try the above measures and see if they help.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

One last thing, if they grow in size and appear as a spot with pinpoint appearance and they have some material coming out of them in the next few days then we can consider molluscum contagiosum as a cause as well. This is caused by a viral infection and usually can be treated easily.

Do you have any more questions?