Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have this little spot on my helix in the middle of where

Customer Question

I have this little spot on my helix in the middle of where my cartilage is pierced, I noticed it was a little itchy/bothersome in the shower last night, sometimes my hair gets caught in one of the rings and I have to pull it out, today I noticed that's it's a little flakey and red/warm to the touch but otherwise doesn't hurt.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Is this on your ear?

Can you upload a picture?

Do you wear gold jewelry or some other metal?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is on my ear, picture is attached.
No gold, no other metals and the same rings have been in for a little over a year.
Have had issues before with my ears I.e tubes and ear drum replacement. But nothing recent.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no medications

Thank you for the picture.

That looks like you could have a staph infection starting.

You might need oral antibiotics but, if you want, you could try putting some over the counter triple antibiotic ointment and see how things look in the morning.

If it looks better.....great.

If it looks the same.....good. Continue the ointment for 5 days or so.

If it looks worse. Get some oral antibiotics from your local corner MD

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I may try that, can a staph infection start even with no wound/opening for bacteria to get in?

The hole in your ear is a opening....all you need is a small scratch/break in the skin anywhere.

Happens all the time :(

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS