Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Can you please take a look at this photo and tell me what

Customer Question

hi Dr,
Can you please take a look at this photo and tell me what you think it is.
I have had the rash for a few days now. There is no discomfort whatsoever.
Many thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Did this rash start on its own or after you applied something new on the area (e.g. lubricant)?

Do you have any medical problems like diabetes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the speedy response.
I am otherwise fit and healthy. I have also applied anything unusual to the area recently. I also do not use lubricants.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information. Your history and clinical picture are most suggestive of a diagnosis of candidiasis of the penis (also called Candidal Balanoposthitis or CBP). This is an infection of the area by the candida yeast and is very common.

Here is what should help:

1. 1% Clotrimazole cream: apply twice a day over the affected area for 14 days. Finish the treatment period even if the symptoms subside earlier. If the lesions are not better in 5 days or so mix 1% Cortizone cream with the Clotrimazole in a 1:1 ratio and apply twice a day for 14 days.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg once a day for 7 days - if you develop itching at any point.

3. Keep the area as clean and dry as possible.

4. Zeasorb-AF powder (Clotrimazole) for dusting: i.e. apply over the genitalia and groins before wearing your undergarments. Continue for 4 weeks.

NOTE: All of the above can be bought without a prescription.

You should be fine within 2 weeks with the above regimen. In case there is insufficient improvement then you will require oral fluconazole, - your doctor would need to prescribe this for you.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you again for the information.My worry is that it is something that is sexually transmitted - although i do have a steady sexual partner.To your mind would you rule out anything anything sexually transmitted, such as herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

You're most welcome! This is quite typical CBP. CBP is not sexually transmitted so don't worry on that account.

I do not see any evidence of an STD like Herpes or any other for that matter.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

I'd be happy to answer any further queries you have. If there are none kindly consider rating our interaction positively to enable me to get credit for my work with you. You can continue to follow up even after if required. Thank you.