Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I live in NW Arkansas,tickland. I have had many bites from

Customer Question

I live in NW Arkansas,tickland. I have had many bites from either ticks, mosquitoes or spiders in the last 4 months. The bites are still there, and still itch. I did get a steroid shot a month ago, no noticeable change. Now I am thinking bed bugs.......AGGHH!
The They are relatively close to one another, mostly on my legs, and behind my knees, never on arms, chest, etc.
I have been prescribed ointments and creams..........not much relief.
please advise, and thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of these bites?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what email address do I send the picture to?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You can attach pictures to this discussion by using the icon on the toolbar that looks lik a paper clip.

I have not yet received a picture.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

The appearance of bites are may or may not be characteristic. However, the other major considerations when symptoms are persistent are whether there also is a secondary problem, such as a reaction to the bites or an infection.

If the only problem is persistent bites, that would usually indicate that there is ongoing bites, and the primary intervention is to control the environment or to prevent further bites. If you have already done simple environmental control interventions, then it may be necessary to consult a pest control company.

It also may help to use products that are designed to keep the bugs off you, such as Deet. However, there are also some hygiene products that may help with bugs and may be better tolerated, such as Avon Skin So Soft.

If there is a reaction, then Benadryl and steroids are the usual treatments, as you have already tried. If there is concern about an ongoing reaction to the bites despite the Benadryl and steroids, it may reuire a higher dose or longer course of the steroids.

If there is an infection and persistent, then it would typically require a course of oral antibiotics.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tried all of these things, including oral antibiotics and a steroid shot. Any suggestions.

What did the pest control company say was present?

Can you attach a picture?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already taken oral antibiotics. So nothing new so far. I was wondering why my bites are taking so long to heal, is it some
thing in my makeup that is not producing something to heal at a normal rate.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

The only way that bug bites would last this long would be if you are continuing to be bitten, which is why I asked what the pest control company said.

It also could be something else mimicking bug bites, but that is why I asked for a picture above.