khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I know clubbing of the finger nails is due to lung and heart

Customer Question

I know clubbing of the finger nails is due to lung and heart conditions mine definitely being due to smoking and if like to know what this can mean for me prognosis wise or what have you ? Likelihood of dreadful disease ?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could it be possible that my nails are becoming more bulbous now due to fact I riding my bike getting active again which in turn is I guess increasing the pressure or velocity my blood pumping at and so getting more oxygen rich blood to my extremities which in turn is causing my fingernails and finger nail beds to swell or become more plump bulbous etc ? Just my take and I guess assumption on things in regards ***** ***** so called phenomenon caused by genetics and by factors that lower blood oxygen reaching the extremities
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Since when are you smoking? Do you have any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No symptoms since I'm 17

Since when are you smoking? Since when do you have the clubbing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Smoking Daily buying packs since 1997 clubbing started about 2/3 years ago slight tho

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Clubbing can be a warning sign of lung cancer. The chances that this is due to lung cancer are low, but since this can be caused by cancer it is not something that can be ta***** *****ghtly. You need to consult your doctor and have imaging studies of lung done after an examination by your doctor. Any lung condition may cause clubbing but cancer needs to be looked for in someone who is smoking. Also you may ask your doctor about treatments that may help you quit smoking.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Thanks.

Expert:  khagihara replied 3 months ago.

Can you attach the photos here? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any medical problems? Any srugeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?