dr abid
dr abid, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  I have completed my training in Internal Medicine with sufficent experience to handle variety of patients having skin problem
16766337

I am having purple coloured nail beds which go half way up

Customer Question

Hi I am having purple coloured nail beds which go half way up the nail
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Hi. I amCustomerWelcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Can you upload nail pics ?

Regards .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is them
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you recieve them ?
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Yes , please wait for a while ...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks im really worried about them
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

As you have significantly purple nail bed and in most of the cases , Causes of purple nails bed is Poor circulation that can cause purple nail beds . This suggests that nails may not be getting enough blood. Because blood that has plenty of oxygen is bright red, blood that is darker in color may not have enough oxygen and appear purplish .

I will suggest you to get check your Hemoglobin levels and red blood cell count .

Often low levels of Hemoglobin give rise to such color.

This is the first thing that you need to do please .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-abid/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I recently had blood tests and oxygen levels checked and everything was fine is there anything I can do ? Is this a cause for concern ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also I have been really stressed lately with bad anxiety could this be causing it?
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

In the absence of any other symptoms and normal oxygen levels and other blood test , this is of no concern .

One thing that you can do is to get Autoimmune profile to rule out Autoimmune illness like Lupus / Scleroderma , if this comes negative nothing to worry .

Second anxiety/ stress couldn't be the reason of such nail color .

Regards .

Positive feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can I get this ? Would that have been part of my blood work? I also had my heart checked as I am worried this could be heart or lungs
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

This is a part of blood work but not included in routine examination , you should ask your GP/PCP , to run that test .

Regards .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could that be what's causing it? Could it be heart related ? I have had multiple ecgs an endicardiogram and stress test .. Is there anything I can do to try make it go away? My doctor said he can't find anything
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

In the presence of normal stress test , echo and EKG heart and lung are no more the cause of purple nail .

This could be in some cases because of Vitamin C deficiency , you should start Vitamin C pills and see response .

Good luck .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so take viteman c and get a blood test what blood test will I ask for ? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
lack of vitamin c can cause this colour change ? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also I got my heart checked a couple a weeks ago and this has just appeared so could it be heart related because I haven't had a test when I had these nails
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also my hands are warm aswell
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

I dont think this is heart issue , this could be some Vitamin deficiencies .

You should ask for test called Autoimmune profile please .

Regards .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok what vitamin could it be or should I take ? I'm feeling out of breath aswell but I have really bad anxiety I keep thinking it's my heart and cause my fingernails have changed aswell
Expert:  dr abid replied 3 months ago.

Tab Vitamin C ( Tab Cecon ) once a day .

Regards .