Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Can you easily scratch off genital warts? no and no, no

Customer Question

Can you easily scratch off genital warts?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no and no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found a very small raised bump at penile shaft and scrotum. Single lesion. Slightly darker than skin. Viewed under magnification was sorta bumpy but not cauliflower like. Almost looked like scab. Seems I recall squeezing a pimple in the area a week or so ago. Tested with vinegar for about 5 minutes and no change. Then I lightly scratched it with my finger nail and it came off in a small thin layer and was hanging by one end. Pulled it off and then it began to bleed.Could this have been a wart or remnant of a scab from pimple? I didn't mean to scratch it off. Just easily came off with no effort. I shaved and inspected everywhere else and see no more lesions.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer,

Warts cannot be easily scraped off. However you must never try to scratch or rub a lesion since this may lead to the spread the infection to adjacent skin.

Your lesion is most likely due to molluscum contagiosum which is involving the genitals. But for a proper and accurate diagnosis you need to get examined by your doctor.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have seen molluscum on my kids and this didn't look anything like it. Looked more like a scab. Sorta bumpy. At first thought it might be a wart but was only sorta bumpy. Then vinegar didn't turn white. And I accidently scratched it off. It did bleed for a while. Now looks like top layer of skin is gone.

Dear customer,

It may very well be a scab, but you need to know the cause for the scab.

Take care.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
in your opinion a wart would not be so easily peeled off with a fingernail? Even a small wart?

Dear customer,

Yes even a small wart cannot be scraped out easily.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will genital warts definitely turn white if place vinegar on them for a few minutes?

Dear customer,

Basically doctors use a mild acetic acid solution to whiten any warts so that they can be identified and further testing can be done. So yes most of the warts will turn white.

Take care.

Dear customer,

Please take a moment to rate the answer now with a positive rating by clicking 5 stars above. You may do this now.

Thanks.