Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have some spots on my penis should I be worried, Yes, Nope

Customer Question

Hey I have some spots on my penis should I be worried
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Can you attach a picture of the area here? Also do you have any history of sexual contact in the recent past? What is your age? Any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sending the Picture thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am married 31 years old high blood pressure
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should I do

Im writing a detailed answer for you, please give me a couple of minutes to complete it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay

Thank you for the additional information.

Now the first thing is that these spots do not indicate anything serious infact in most cases they are due to harmless causes. The only concerning disease which can cause these spots can be HPV related. Genital warts can develop like this over a period of time, they can start as dull red spots anywhere on the penis and then grow in size over the period of a few weeks to months. Now it is not necessary for you to have recent sexual contact to get HPV, infact you could have been harbouring HPV for the last 10 years and they are manifesting now. This is a likely possibility as the virus can stay dormant for several years. Now if these are warts then they would increase in size over time and would be treated with the help of simple cryotherapy or even topical therapies like imiquimod.

ANother cause of these spots can be an allergic reaction to a detergent or a soap or any other hygiene product. If you have changed any of these things in the recent past then this could be the cause. In most cases simple application of OTC hydrocortisone should be able to counter these symptoms as well as use of OTC anti histamines like benadryl or claritin.

Now lastly this could be a sign of a local fungal infection, such as candida, if this is the case then you would need application of topical anti fungal ointments.

Now for now i woudl recommend that you try using OTC antihistamines and see if that helps the situation over the next two days, if the spots dont improve then see your doctor to rule out fungal infections as well as HPV.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Another cause for this can be molluscum contagiosum, usually these spots should be larger in size and more dome shaped. These are also caused by virus and can be treated easily with the help of topical therapies etc. Actually it is too early to say whether this can be warts or molluscum, if they grow in size their appearance would change and it would be easier to determine which of these it can be.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no pain for anything just this.

Yes and in molluscum or genital warts, apart from the appearance there is usually no pain, no itching anything just the abnormal appearance. That is why i mentioned that try using the antihistamines, if it is an allergic reaction it should subside with the use of antihistamines and if not, they would change appearance and then would be treated accordingly by your doctor. But this isnt anything serious, it can be treated easily infact all of these conditions can be treated easily.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3 days ago my wife wiped with hand wipe would that cause that the soap in thag

Yes that can cause the irritation and red spots on the penis. It can be rectified with the use of antihistamines.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.