DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Internist/homeopath
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor/homeopathy medical and homeopathic approaches to skin disorders.
24257177

I just recently visited the dermatologist because over the

Customer Question

I just recently visited the dermatologist because over the past several months my skin has become extremely oily, to the point that it upsets me. She put me on 50 mg of spironolactone and said it would help. I've looked up reviews and have seen a lot of women talking about experiencing an initial breakout from starting spiro? Is this common and should I be worried about it? I also take the birth control pill seasonique and she said if I was happy with my cycles there was no reason to change. I'm just unsure what's caused this sudden increase in oil, I also use Epirus and benzaclin and have used those for years. I guess I just want to know if the spiro could possibly make things worse, since I'm not dealing with acne really, just oily skin.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

Hello.

Thanks for the question and welcome to just answer.

No

It is not common.

The pill can be a cause of this, also not common but possible.

This is possibly an example of treating one side effect, of a drug, with another drug.

I would further discuss this with your doctor.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by treating one side effect with another drug?

If the pill makes your skin oily from hormone effects, treating those effects with spironolactone.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been taking the same pill seasonique for 8 years and have only in the last few months started to have really oily skin. Could the pill cause that side effect suddenly after taking it for so long?

Yes it could.

Please click a positive at the top of the page.

Let me know if you have more questions.

You do need to ask your doctor his reason for starting the spironolactone.