Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My wife started having this reaction on her skin mostly on

Customer Question

My wife started having this reaction on her skin mostly on her back but now is on her chest, neck, arms. It started as a redish color but now is like dried skin bumps on her body its been around 2 or 3 weeks since it started. She had no fevers, breathing problems , running nose before or during this rash. Can someone please give me advise, she has no medical insurance. Any help will mean alot to us.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dr abid replied 2 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

Hives could be the strong possibility , this is basically a allergic reaction , it would be ideal for you to ask him to start Tab Benadryl twice a day .

If Hives spread than she can get Injecatble anti-histamine from ER .

Last but not least ER visit should be kept in mind .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please click on good rating .

Thanks .

Expert:  dr abid replied 2 months ago.

Sorry ...

Ask her to start Tab Benadryl ....

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would a photograph of the affected area be possible at your convenience? Its very hard to comment on the problem without seeing it - hives typically do not produce dried skin bumps on the body.

Please note this is not an answer - just a request for more information so I can provide with you with an accurate answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dr Nair, I have attached the pic you requested, let me know what you think.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the photograph - these look more like small white bumps on the skin - can you please upload some more photographs, possibly some with a flash?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will, im just wating on my wife to send me more. I truly appresiate the time you are taking to diagnose this. I will post the pics when I have them. Thank you !
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

You're most welcome and I will continue to do my best to help - only thing its past 12 am in my part of the world and I need to call it a night as its a working day tomorrow. Would it be okay if check in tomorrow morning for the photographs? If not I will opt out to allow other doctors to try and assist you. Do let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thats no problem, I'll wait for you to review them tomorrow. Have a good night doctor !
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you very much, look forward to continuing this tomorrow. Have a great day!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here are more pictures, let me know what you think, thanks !
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have been talking about this, and let me know if this sounds right to you, the only thing I can think of is the recent change in our laundry detergent, the rash is prominent on the areas were she wears her shirts, is barely noticeable on her neck and arms from the elbow to the hand. Could it be a reaction to the laundry detergent ? Its not of a known brand and we just started using it. I also looked on reviews in amazon and this laundry detergent has caused alergic rash to other people. She is not allergic to anything and never has been so thats why we are a little skeptical about that. Let me know what you think and mainly we need to know what can we use to try and calm down the rash, would you recomend an over the counter cream or something like that ?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional photographs. This rash looks most like a condition called Pityriasis Rosea.

Pityriasis Rosea is a harmless skin condition which normally starts on the trunk. It can start in other areas as well but usually the trunk is worst affected as in your wife's case. The strongest evidence is that it caused by a virus (HHV 6&7). Even so it does not spread from person to person, so you needn't worry on that account. Once the rash appears it usually spreads for 2-4 weeks before stabilizing.

No treatment is required as the rash is self limiting (the rash does not respond to steroid creams, antifungal creams). It usually takes 6-8 weeks (often more) for the rash to disappear and it does so without any scarring. Just keeping the skin well moisturized and if the itching becomes severe enough at any point to be troublesome taking Tablet Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day is sufficient management. In cases where the rash is explosive or widespread a 7 day course of an antiviral like Valacyclocir can shorten the duration of symptoms.

Other possibilities would be an acneiform eruption, atypical guttate psoriasis, disseminated granuloma annulare, and contact allergic dermatitis (CAD). CAD can be caused by a new detergent so it would be the second possibility in your wife's case. Hence you can try applying 1% Cortizone lotion twice a day on the rash to see if that helps - you can buy this over the counter without a prescription. If you don't see any improvement over 1-2 weeks then CAD is unlikely.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.