Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Round sore on shaft of Penis been there for years as a

Customer Question

Round sore on shaft of Penis been there for years as a lighter discoloration, now it is raised and sore from sex.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Normally the skin just seems a little more sensitive, and a little shiny. Sometimes I feel like it scaley or shedding skin I can remember pulling off a piece of dead skin. Lately since my girlfriend has using the nuvaring for birth control I think I'm agitatting it by rubbing against it during sex. Just seems to be hard skin not like the rest, but today it is raised and red with a soreness when touched.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** - I am a Dermatologist and will do my best to provide a useful input.

Okay so presently this looks like Irritant Dermatitis on account of friction/irritation as you have described. This should settle within a few days of applying Bactiracin ointment and Cortizone-10 ointment. These should be mixed in a 1:1 ratio and applied twice a day. Orally Tablet Advil 400 mg (taken after meals) will help the inflammation. All of these are available over the counter without a prescription. Avoid sex and masturbation for the next 10 days. And stay as cool as possible.

When the spot is back to normal you should have it checked out by a dermatologist in person - it sounds like something called Psoriasis (mild severity) and if so will respond quickly to a prescription steroid cream like Mometasone.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
why have I had it for years, and psoriasis is it contagious, or can it spread? Is there a over the counter cream I can buy? Currently do not have medical insurance but this is a constant nuisance now. And is this a serious enough issue that needs to be seen sooner than later
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 months ago.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune condition and can last many years without treatment. It is not contagious and does not spread to other people through sexual contact. There is no significantly effective over the counter treatment for Psoriasis unfortunately. Neither issues are serious so don't worry on that account.